So, here’s another one of my favourites for you. I developed this recipe by trying out a few recipes I found online and cook books, and just adjusting it to my own taste, adding and removing some ingredients.
I usually cook this bi-weekly, so at least twice a month. Its a definitely a favourite in my household, and one that my hubby requests.
Prep time: 25 mins
Cook time: 1hr
Requires: A decent sized cooking pot. A sharp knife and wooden spoon. If using canned beans and chopped tomatoes, please ensure you use BPA free cans. (Goggles for cutting the onion 🌰🤣)
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
1 Small Red Onion – diced
1 Sweet Potato – diced
1 Red Bell Pepper – diced
1 Green Bell Pepper – diced
1 Tbsp Ground Paprika
1/2 Tsp Ground Caynne Pepper (or to taste)
1 Tbsp Dried Oregano (or Mixed hearbs)
450g Black Beans (carton or can)
200g Red Kidney Beans (carton or can)
500g Chopped Tomatoes
1 Tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Prepare all the vegetables as described above.
2. Heat the oil in the pot, then add the cumin seeds, and allow to cook for a few minutes.
3. Add the onion, and cook until softened.
4. Add the sweet potato and mix to ensure the potato is well mixed with the cumin seeds and onions. Cook the sweet potato for about 20 mins before adding any other ingredients.
5. Add the red and green bell pepper, and stir the ingredients together.
6. Add the paprika, cayenne pepper and oregano and stir.
7. Empty the cartons of beans into a colander and rinse until water runs clear. Add to the pot and mix in.
8. Add the chopped tomatoes, vinegar and water and stir.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste. Allow to cook at medium heat for 20mins. If the sweet potatoe needs a little longer, then continue to cook at a lowered heat for another 10 to 15 minutes.
White basmati rice
Guacamole (I didn’t have any or make any this time around, but its a nice side)